This course provides basic introductory information related to landfills and serves as a prerequisite or foundation for more advanced courses. Landfill 101 – Part 2 addresses landfill siting and conceptual design. Landfill 101 – Part 1: Regulations, Permitting, and Siting is the first course in this sequence and is recommended to be taken before Landfill 101 – Part 2.
Upon completion of Landfill 101 Part 2, the attendee will be able to:
- Describe the components of the design process
- Define the components essential to the design of liners and covers
- Select the appropriate processes to be included in the Site Operations for a particular land fill
- Discuss the chemical and physical processes included in waste decomposition and the generation of landfill gases
- Demonstrate methods for determining leachate quality
- Advocate for the inclusion of certain design elements that enhance the operation of landfills
JEFF FANTELL, P.E. is a graduate of Virginia Tech with over 22 years of consulting experience in solid waste. His specialties are design, permitting, construction administration, and operations of solid waste facilities. He currently serves as the Program Manager and Lead Trainer for Joyce Engineering’s Waste Management Facility Operator Training curriculums throughout the Southeast and has, upon request, led many training events for energy companies and coal combustion ash handling contractors. Jeff has been published in Waste Age magazine for articles related to landfill operations. P.E. license numbers 0401025727 (Virginia), 13831 (Nevada), 22680 (South Carolina), 24GE04506900 (New Jersey), 71153 (Ohio), 032425 (North Carolina), and 26011 (Kentucky).