This is a basic course on the fundamentals of landfill gas (LFG) and the design and operations of LFG collection and control systems. The course will provide a broad overview of LFG topics with emphasis and specific insights on concepts and examples that have been found to be particularly important.
Upon completion of this course, the attendee will be able to:
- Describe the basics of LFG generation, composition and reasons to collect and control LFG.
- Define gas collection and control system (GCCS) components and design considerations for each.
- Advocate for the importance of construction quality assurance and documentation.
- Describe procedures for normal operations, routine maintenance and repairs, including troubleshooting unexpected problems for LFG wellfield components and blower/flares systems.
- Define the types of recordkeeping and reporting required for compliance with New Source Performance Standards (NSPS), greenhouse gas (GHG) rules and Carbon Credit projects.
STEPHEN COWIE, P.E. is a Senior Project Consultant with Joyce Engineering, working out of their Greensboro, NC office. He joined Joyce Engineering in 2004 after completing an M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from North Carolina State University (NCSU). Prior to attending NCSU, he received his B.S. in biology from Duke University. At NCSU Mr. Cowie completed a Master’s thesis titled “Emission of Non-Methane Organic Compounds (NMOC) and Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAP) from Decomposing Refuse and Individual Waste Components and Under Different Conditions”. His work with Joyce Engineering has built upon his educational background in landfill gas, with practical experience in many aspects of landfill gas including: design, construction, permitting, compliance, operations and LFG-to-Energy development. Mr. Cowie has over 10 years of engineering experience with Joyce Engineering. He has served as lead design engineer for several municipal solid waste (MSW) and construction and demolition (C&D) landfill expansion projects. He has extensive knowledge of liner systems, leachate collection and storage, landfill stability concerns, and stormwater and erosion control. He also is one of Joyce Engineering’s leaders in landfill gas related projects, serving as design engineer for several landfill gas (LFG) collection and control systems as well as, permitting and consulting for LFG-to-Energy projects. He has served as construction project manager for several landfill and landfill gas related projects. Mr. Cowie also has extensive experience in air permitting and compliance. He has prepared numerous Title V air permit applications, BACT analysis reports, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reports, Climate Action Reserve (CAR) monitoring plans and NSPS compliance reports. P.E. license numbers 035644 (North Carolina), 046972 (Virginia), and 32275 (Alabama).