This course provides basic introductory information related to landfills and serves as a prerequisite or foundation for more advanced courses. Landfill 101 – Part 1 addresses the regulations which drive the landfill development process and permitting. Landfill 101 – Part 1 also addresses landfill siting, which is the first major technical step in determining what is required to locate a landfill in a given location and the factors that affect the decision-making process.
Upon completion of this course, the attendee will be able to:
- Describe landfill regulations and how they are developed
- Define how regulations are applied to the landfill development process
- Discuss the permit process and the components of permitting
- Describe the role permitting plays in landfill developments with respect to regulations and design
- Define how landfills are sited and determine what makes one location more suitable than another