This course provides basic introductory information related to landfills and serves as a prerequisite or foundation for more advanced courses. Landfill 101 – Part 2 addresses landfill siting and conceptual design. Landfill 101 – Part 1: Regulations, Permitting, and Siting is the first course in this sequence and is recommended to be taken before Landfill 101 – Part 2.
Upon completion of Landfill 101 Part 2, the attendee will be able to:
- Describe the components of the design process
- Define the components essential to the design of liners and covers
- Select the appropriate processes to be included in the Site Operations for a particular land fill
- Discuss the chemical and physical processes included in waste decomposition and the generation of landfill gases
- Demonstrate methods for determining leachate quality
- Advocate for the inclusion of certain design elements that enhance the operation of landfills