This course will provide an introduction of landfill leachate from its inception through disposal, with a focus of awareness over practical skill and understanding. Regulatory definitions, history, general leachate characteristics, variations with age, and compositional ranges will also be discussed.
Upon completion of this course, the attendee will be able to:
- Discuss the characteristics and composition of landfill leachate
- Define the various sources of leachate generation and its impacts on climate
- Discuss the landfill design requirements, management options and storage systems in relation to current regulations
- Describe leachate treatment and disposal options
- Define the short term and long term care options to maintain the protective nature of the landfill.