A significant trend that has surfaced over the past several years is a substantial increase in the diversion of MSW organics. Recent legislation from the recent EPA’s goal of 50% diversion of food waste to proposed legislation in the State of California to ban all organics from landfills by 2025 demonstrate the momentum behind this trend. This course will provide a summary on current practices and trends in managing the organic fraction of municipal solid waste.
Upon completion of this course attendees will understand some of the key considerations in:
- How accurate are estimates of organics generation;
- Determining how much organics there are;
- Determining how current and proposed policies are affecting organic management trends;
- How organics are currently being managed and what tonnages are processed;
- Determining what kinds of technologies are being used (e.g. composting, anaerobic digestion); and
- Determining the capability to manage diverted organics via non-landfill strategies.